|Estimated time||16-20 hours|
|Next steps||Linked Data Foundations|
Linked Data Essentials: Journey Description
This learning journey will introduce you to the essential features of Linked Data:
- Why do we need Linked Data? Which problems is it designed to solve?
- What is it? How does it work, in essence?
- What do organizations use it for? How do they work with it?
As such, this learning journey is relevant for managers, architects, executives and others with an interest in getting a 360-degree overview, without going into technical details. It is also the starting point and first step for analysists and engineers who want to learn to work with Linked Data and apply it in their work.
Much of our collective knowledge of the world is represented as data in IT-systems. Bringing together data from these systems to provide a holistic view has become impossibly complex. To reach the next level in the evolution of our information society, we must overcome this obstacle so that data can flow freely and be used for multiple purposes, independently of the IT-system in which the data were created.
Linked Data provides a comprehensive solution to this problem. It is a sprawling set of standards, technologies, tools, and methods. With Linked Data, computers are freed from the constraint that limits them to only work with predefined data. Linked Data finds its roots in the early 1990s. Now, Linked Data is mature and ready to be a game changer.
This learning journey takes you through the essentials of Linked Data. You start by gradually understanding the core concepts, with the goal of grasping why things are designed the way they are. Your journey then continues covering how it works, how it is applied, and how organizations work with it. Also covered are the semantic web, knowledge graphs, data fabric and FAIR data. You will grasp why Linked Data is essential in all of these. At each step of the journey, concepts are illustrated with real-world examples from real-world projects and organizations.
Included are exclusive interviews with Erwin Folmer (Kadaster), Vladimir Alexiev (OntoText), Jans Aasman (Franz Inc) and Irene Polikoff (TopQuadrant) on some of the topics covered in this course.
The learning objectives of this course are:
- Understand which problems Linked Data solves and why this is vital to our future
- Appreciate the fundamental ideas on which Linked Data is built
- Learn what the role is of the core standards RDF, RDFS, OWL, and SHACL
- Become aware how Linked Data is used in Artificial Intelligence, enterprise information management, and web search
- Comprehend how Linked Data underpins the data-centric architectures, semantic web, knowledge graphs, data fabric and FAIR data
- Learn about real-world business cases and use cases
- Understand the impact that Linked Data has on organizations
Who we are
Taxonic is Netherlands’ leading consultancy in Linked Data. Founded in 2012, Taxonic has grown to become the one-stop-shop for all things semantic, from propositions and consulting to education and inspiration
Eliana Papoutsoglou is Linked Data consultant at Taxonic. She has earned a PhD researching the application of FAIR principles and Linked Data in plant sciences
Jan Voskuil is co-founder and CEO of Taxonic. He has been evangelizing and teaching semantic technologies for more than a decade. His consultancy work spans multiple domains. He frequently publishes and speaks at conferences about the things he works on